Monday 29 September 2008

Encounters with Wicca

On the verge of the mid 70's it seems my generation was going through some kind of spiritual identity crisis. Aside from all the weird religions they were getting into (i.e. Evangelism, Hari Krishna, Bahai, etc.) there were various Wicca covens taking shape. Being of the psychically overamplified by geophysical forces beyond my control, it was pretty tough for me to keep from attracting the most absurd kind of attention. By this time I had accepted my rather overwrought abilities as something none of these people would ever understand without getting vacuously starry eyed, or take it for some kind of power over human destiny. There was even one that tried to take me for the "doomsday angel" (sorry I'm just not into that biblical nonsense) screaming it aloud on the streets of Halifax-Dartmouth, every time he saw me. Needless to say, it was not long before he had a special room, complete with love-me jacket, in the local asylum. Nonetheless, ugly rumours had gotten around about me knowing things before they happened as well answering questions before the words passed people's lips. Thus one high priest of some Alexandrians got wind of it through his brother, who happened to be an acquaintance of mine. I was invited into the house where this coven resided, not far from the free school I was attending on the Dalhousie University campus.

Although they were good and helpful people, and quite serious of their practice; what was explained to me of its rituals, I really couldn't see myself getting into. I remembered some of the things my Welsh gran explained to me, of old folk practices in South Glamorgan, when I was a child. Indeed I could see parallels, and had been to Stonehenge in 1969, so I had a pretty good idea of what they were getting at. They had been hoping I would work with them as a kind of psychic channel, but it was their idea of the old good&evil-white&black paradox that put me off. I just couldn't see their plans working well with natural causality. When they explained of the problems they had with members getting "possessed" and ending up institutionalized, somehow that didn't surprise me. Its the old law of physics about equal opposite forces, and that Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. In order to achieve continuity in this realm of the universe, you simply have to break from such Euclidean norms. Of course to make them truly understand this, they would no longer be Wiccan. Conversely, if I was to channel their will the way they aspired, it would most certainly go terribly wrong- so I decided to leave well alone, gave my thanks but no thanks, and moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment