Tuesday 30 September 2008

Dreams, Schemes, and Propellor Things

A while back I had the most peculiar dream. The setting was one of those stifling midsummer days and I was wandering a dirt road through a rolling pastureland. The air was filled with the chirring of insects which I stopped to indulge while admiring the lofty cumulus drifting in the slight breeze. As the wind stopped, the sound of the insects became subdued and a heavy stillness filled the air. I heard a rumbling overhead, and quickly turned to see a magnificent nimbus formation towering over the hill. Suddenly to my amazement, little objects began to rain down. As they landed, I leaned over the cow fence for a closer inspection. Picking one up, I came to realize these were small incredibly light metal cups that had been fashioned with a peculiar wing on the side, to come floating down rather like a maple seed. Little paper cards also came floating down. These had instructions on how to work these curious little devices. As I stood there in an awe of fascination, a breezy voice spoke up in my mind. "Nature rewards those who truly understand her ways"- indeed I had spent much of the night pondering on nature’s designs before going to bed. Then my reflections became distracted by a distinct sense of presence. I turned again to see a gaggle of people approach from over the hill. They were people of different skilled trades, (from farmer to mechanic) come to see what was going on. They were just as taken by curiosity over these strange gifts, except for a tall man in their midst- who not only seemed quite out of place with the rest, but kept staring at me with obvious contempt. It was then I noticed his vicar’s collar and as I expected he came out with the remark "you don’t deserve it". "Heh, who died and made you god?" I thought, but the words never passed my lips. The fact was that he had obviously missed the point, namely that evolution is all about learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment