Tuesday 30 September 2008

Thoughts on Socially Ideosyncratic Gender

Frankly, I think all sociological precepts about gender are nothing other than that. Even though I personally am heterosexual, I really couldn't give a damn about what the "popular concensus" seeks to iconize as infant, child, boy, girl, man, woman, hermaphrodite, gay, transvestite, or whatever. When left to its own designs, causality on the individual level will resolve with whatever survival requires. Often around the arctic circle, where survival depends highly on the most meticulous resource management, it is the women who are the natural organizers, while the men further their natural skills as hunter-gatherers. No doubt this was the way of the world some 10,000 years ago when agrarian culture gave rise to the first major centers of trade. This is not to say that all women or men fall into these categories, as there will always be those of unique talent regardless of gender. Bottom line: necessity is the mother of invention.

My brother has always had a problem with gender "identity" though he himself has always been heterosexual. I suspect that has alot to do with the mockeries of childhood where the kids used to call him "princess"...that was until he cleared out a whole school bus in a fit of rage. These people really must learn that this family comes from a long line of berzerkers. Indeed, I have had my own delightful experiences with those who were always trying to be so "Vogue", but any effort to taunt my "unladylikeness" was usually met by a very short blunt slap across the head while standing on their freshly nail-polished toes. There was however once, I threw them all into the gym shower, to make my point perfectly clear. Each to their own, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment